National advice hotline 1800 020 080
2 total active cases 232,090 tests conducted 175 people recovered
National advice hotline 1800 020 080 For information on coronavirus (COVID-19) call the hotline - open 24 hours, 7 days.

Remote work and travel

The biosecurity area restrictions in the Northern Territory (NT) were lifted on 5 June 2020.

There is no longer any requirement to quarantine for 14 days before entering a remote community. Residents can move freely between their communities, homelands, country and town.

Territorians need to continue to maintain good physical distancing and hygiene practices to protect against spreading coronavirus (COVID-19).

Any non-residents wanting to go into a remote community must still follow all the requirements of land councils and local communities, including checking if you need a land council permit to go there.

Read below for information about the regional requirements for visitors and workers.

  • Non-residents must have permission from the relevant land council to go into their communities for any reason, including work.

    The Central Land Council (CLC), Northern Land Council (NLC) and Anindilyakwa Land Council (ALC) will continue to acknowledge Approved Remote Essential Worker (AREW) cards, issued under the biosecurity restrictions, for access to their communities until September.

    If you do not have an AREW card, you must apply to the NLC, CLC or ALC for a permit to access their communities or Aboriginal land.

    You should check with the relevant land council to make sure you have the right kind of permission to go into their community or Aboriginal land.

    Find out more at the NLC website, CLC website or  ALC website .

  • The Restrictions of Entry for the Tiwi Islands have been lifted from 5 June 2020.

    On 5 June 2020, in line with the Commonwealth Government’s decision to lift the designated Biosecurity areas in the Northern Territory, the Executive Director of Township Leasing lifted the restrictions of entry into Wurrumiyanga, Wurankuwu, Milikapiti, and Pirlangimpi.

    The Tiwi Land Council has also decided to recommence granting permits. Persons wanting to access Aboriginal Land in the Tiwi Islands outside of the listed townships, and who do not meet the requirements of the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976, must apply for a permit from the Tiwi Land Council.

    Find out more at the Tiwi Land Council