Here are some simple tips to follow when you go to the supermarket:
- Shops will be doing their best to limit the number of shoppers – helping you keep a safe distance from others.
- Be kind to essential workers, and others you’re sharing the shop with.
- Come prepared with a list so you can get in and out as quickly as possible.
- If at all possible only send one person from your household to do the whole shop. You may need to take young children with you if there is no carer available.
- Keep 1.5 metres away from others, including staff – they need to keep safe too!
- Use a contactless card if you can – avoid cash.
- Bag groceries away from others if you can.
- Only touch what you want to buy.
- If you like, take a soapy towel in a small container to wipe down trolley or basket handles etc.
- For any fresh produce it is always a good idea to rinse them off with clean water, although using soap, disinfectant or detergent is not recommended as this could affect the taste and may cause stomach upsets.
- Wipe down packaged goods with a soapy clean towel, then dry.
- Wash your hands before and after you shop.