Steps to the new normal business restart
All businesses are required to lodge a COVID-19 Safety Plan by filling out the relevant checklists available.
If you are a Northern Territory (NT) business or organisation that has been impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions, the NT Government has created steps to help you restart your business while managing your safety responsibilities around coronavirus (COVID-19).
Gradual adjustments to restrictions are possible now because NT borders remain closed to interstate and overseas arrivals.
You must have a COVID-19 Safety Plan to show how you will meet your requirements around the key principles of physical distancing and hygiene practices.
By completing the online COVID-19 Safety Plan checklist relevant to your business or organisation, you will be able to demonstrate how you will meet the required physical distancing and hygiene rules.
If your business or organisation has multiple locations, you must apply for each premises.
The following types of business, community organisations and public facilities may operate from 15 May with a Safety Plan in place:
- Food businesses
- Personal services Businesses
- Some community organisations
- Some sporting and active recreation activities
How to get started
For example bars, restaurants and cafes:
Personal services businesses
For example beauty therapy, massage therapy, nail salons:
- read the guidelines for personal services businesses
- complete the COVID-19 checklist for personal services businesses
Businesses and community organisations
For example art galleries, libraries, community organisations and places of religious worship:
- read the guidelines for businesses and community organisations
- complete the COVID-19 checklist for community businesses and organisations
Sport and active recreation organisations
For example swimming clubs, gyms, sports clubs, dance studios, fitness studios:
- read the guidelines for sport and active recreation organisations
- complete the COVID-19 checklist for sport and active recreation organisations
After you apply
Once you submit your checklist, you will immediately be emailed a summary of your submission which you can use/ display as an interim approval until you receive a statement of commitment. This may take up to 14 days.
An environmental health officer will visit you in the coming weeks to carry out a compliance check to ensure you are meeting your responsibilities as outlined in your COVID-19 safety plan.
For businesses and facilities that
How to get started - if you continued to operate
Some businesses continued to be allowed to operate largely unrestricted.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- government departments
- allied health services.
These operations must complete a Safety Plan checklist.
You have until 30 June to complete the checklist .
The checklist assists in planning how to operate within the key principles for the new normal.
How to get started - if you are allowed to reopen
All businesses still restricted may recommence from noon on 5 June 2020. A general business guideline and checklist is available as well as tailored, industry-specific guidelines and checklists to guide your planning on how to operate in line with the new normal.
Guidelines will be available soon when the CHO Direction is published.
- Beauty therapy, cosmetic services and tattooists
- Casinos and licensed gaming venues
- Cinema, theatres, nightclubs and similar entertainment venues
- Contact sport and active recreation
- General business, community and organisations
- Health and wellness
- Parks, community centres, recreation centres and play centres
- Restaurants, cafes, bars and food courts
- Tour operators