Apply for exemption to quarantine
All people not eligible for exemption entering the Northern Territory (NT) must complete 14 days of forced quarantine.
Some people are ‘automatically’ exempt from quarantine requirements and others must apply for exemption before travelling to the Territory.
Read more about the exemption categories.
Who must apply
The Chief Health Officer or authorised delegate can grant an exemption on the grounds that the person or class meets one of the below requirements:
- Is a Northern Territory Health employed health practitioner or health worker
- Is essential for the proper functioning of the Territory.
- Needs an exemption to avoid unusual, undeserved, or disproportionate hardship.
- Is governed by a coronavirus (COVID-19) management plan, imposed by the employer of the person or class of persons, to prevent the transmission of COVID-19
How to apply
Fill the application for exemption .
Submit it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and date of travel in the subject heading.
Organisations applying for exemption for their employees on the grounds they are governed by a COVID-19 management plan are to attach a copy of their plan to this email.
Your application will then be assessed on its merits by the Chief Health Officer or appropriate delegate.
The processing of applications can take up to 10 business days.
If you travel to the Territory before you have received written approval from of exemption from the Chief Health Officer or authorised delegate, you will be directed into mandatory hotel quarantine.
You will not be permitted to leave the mandatory hotel quarantine until either:
- you have received written approval of exemption from the Chief Health Officer or authorised delegate
- your 14-day quarantine period ends.
Please be assured that all applications received to date are being processed. Do not re-send applications.
How you will be notified
You will receive a letter or email from the Chief Health Officer or authorised delegate advising you of the decision of your application.
Call 1800 490 484.